OSHA Regulations Relating to Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) Application:
- Hazard Communication
To support chemical safety in the workplace, information must be available about the identities and hazards of the chemicals, such as an SDS or labels. View OSHA Hazardous Communications Standards for more information.
- Respiratory Protection
Respiratory protection is needed to protect workers when spraying polyurethane foam and if there is a chance of overexposure to MDI mists or vapors. View OSHA’s Respiratory Protection Program for more information.
- Consultation Program
OSHA’s free consultation can help employers find out about potential hazards at their worksites, improve their occupational safety and health management systems, and even qualify for a one-year exemption from routine OSHA inspections. View OSHA’s Consultation Program for more information.
- Personal Protective Equipment
OSHA requires the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) to reduce employee exposure to hazards when engineering and administrative controls are not feasible or effective in reducing these exposures to acceptable levels. Employers are required to determine if PPE should be used to protect their workers. View OSHA’s Personal Protective Equipment information for more information.
Where can I get more information?
A comprehensive resource containing more information is the ACC CPI Health and Safety Product Stewardship Workbook for High-Pressure Application of SPF and accompanying Presentation materials.
- American Chemistry Council (ACC):
- ACC Center for the Polyurethanes Industry (CPI) – Select “Health” or “Safety”
- ACC Diisocyanates Panel (DII)
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Design for the Environment (DfE) – Spray Polyurethane Foam
- Spray Polyurethane Foam Alliance (SPFA) – Select “Health & Safety”
- U.S. National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) – Safety and Health Topic: Isocyanates
- Safety Data Sheets and other health and safety literature can be obtained by contacting your spray polyurethane foam supplier.